Saturday, October 22

Dorset weekend




Last weekend lots of Mountbatten interns spent the weekend in Dorset, a beautiful green, cliffy area on the south coast. We ate and slept at an outdoors activity center. There was a fire pit and a kitchen where I made a cup of tea every 20 minutes because I was never quite warm and plenty of green hills and footpaths to explore.




We hiked (strolled, compared to the Grand Tetons standard... I'm just saying) down to the rocky beach and did some rock climbing. I loved this Dancing Ledge marker. And I discovered that climbing up a rock face scares me while abseiling down a rock face does not.


We went on a scavenger hunt and I used my map-reading and wilderness skills. (Don't stand too close to the cow that's staring at you, etc.)


We also participated in team-building/leadership development activities, all of which reminded me that I (a) don't like team work and (b) zone out as soon as I discover a task requires substantial quantitative or spatial reasoning. However, I did enjoy our morning at a high-ropes course where I reconquered my natural fear of heights several times. That adrenaline, the healthy dose of country air, and my afternoon nap on the return train to London made for a lovely weekend away.

No comments: