Friday, May 20

North, west, east

This is my last week in Alabama for a few months! I'll be sifting through stuff, packing, and visiting with folks --- also one of my good friends from elementary school is getting married!  I haven't been to a wedding in a long time.

Last week I heard back from my NYC interview and I'm in!  I've decided to fully pursue this UK option, which means over the next month or so I'll be interviewing with different companies in London. Hopefully I'll find a good fit. Then it's all about visa and plane ticket getting!

Bonus feature: Shelley got accepted and to my delight has decided to move to London, too. Of course, Shelley or no Shelley, I'm overjoyed about London because Dave's there and I love England and I'm ready to work at a real job. If you'd asked me five years ago if I'd happily move back to the UK, I'd have said "YES!  But that's probably not going to happen." Surprise surprise.

But it'll be extra great with Shelley around. I feel incredibly blessed to have such good friends. And I feel extra incredibly blessed to have them in my daily life after high school and college are over. (Speaking of these people, Hannah's 23rd birthday is today!  Celebration!)

I finished Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Committed" this week and she writes about us building intimacy by sharing stories at nighttime. Mostly she's writing about romantic relationships and marriage, but her words remind me of friendship, too:

"This is intimacy: the trading of stories in the dark."

I spent awhile remembering the many times I've stayed up until 3 or 4 in the morning just talking with my friends. In a tent on a rainy night. Wandering around, lost, in a big city. On the couch long after the movie ended. On overnight buses.

Real friendship.  It's good stuff.

No comments: