Monday, January 17

MLK weekend

How was everyone's weekend?  I headed north with my parents to see some family and retrieve my piano from the Winfield house.  Our family's possessions are scattered across Alabama and Georgia and I'm trying to gather all my things in one place.  As I cleaned out my bedroom closet I found my favorite black shirt and a wall hanging from Tanzania!  It feels good to find things (and to get rid of things).


Today we had lunch in Birmingham at the Fish Market.  I had trout.  It was delicious.  I developed a love for trout in Wyoming this summer.  It may be my favorite fish.  On the way out I picked up Birmingham's free newspaper Black & White and found lots of good ideas for day trips around Alabama.  One of my unofficial goals this semester is to take advantage of Auburn and surrounding areas - to be a good traveler here.  The newspaper reminded me of the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and the Crawfish Boil (hopefully I'll still be around for the latter).  And I was totally surprised to read about Tigers For Tomorrow.  Did you know there was a tiger reserve in the middle of Alabama?!  I certainly did not.


I've just discovered Tumblr, a micro-blogging site, and already love two or three photo blogs.  Today's favorite find:




I don't know where this is or who took the photo (maybe the author of The Cooling Twilight?), but I want this deck to be mine.  (If I had to guess, I'd say this is somewhere in Portgual.  But it looks like there's iced tea on the table.  Maybe a Southerner expat's house in Portugal?) 


Oh!  And PS - as I was cleaning out my closet I found an anthology of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speeches and writings!  What great timing.  I've wanted to read more MLK for a long time.  I'm trying to read one chapter a night before bed.

No comments: